PM to address Maldivian Parliament
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will
address Peoples` Majlis in Male next week during his visit to
the SAARC Summit, making him the first foreign Head of
Government to address the Maldivian Parliament in its
Official sources told PTI that Speaker of the Peoples’
Majlis Abdullah Shahid has sent a formal invitation to the
Prime Minister to address the Majlis during his official visit
to Maldives for the two-day SAARC Summit on November 10-11,
which has been accepted.
Shahid has mentioned in the letter that the proposal to
invite Singh was approved unanimously in the Majlis, which has
77 members, and that the Indian Prime Minister’s address would
be means to strengthen ties between the two countries, they
This will be second time Singh has been honoured to
address any country`s Parliament for the first time. The Prime
Minister had earlier addressed joint session of Afghan
Parliament during his visit there in May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption