PM to chair all-party meeting on promotion quota to SC/STs
New Delhi: The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, will chair an all-party meeting here on Tuesday to discuss reservation in job promotions for those belonging to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
The UPA Government is also expected to table a bill in this regard tomorrow.
After repeated adjournments in Rajya Sabha and turmoil in Lok Sabha, the government had earlier this month agreed to the members demand for bringing a Constitution Amendment Bill for reservation in promotion of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in state jobs.
Minister of State in the Prime Minister``s Office V. Narayanasamy had then informed the Rajya Sabha that the government would bring a bill in this regard on August 22.
"The Prime Minister will call a meeting of all party leaders on 21st of this month as has been demanded by the whole house. We will try to bring a bill on 22nd," he said.
The Supreme Court had earlier in April overruled the Uttar Pradesh Government``s decision to provide reservations in government job promotions.
The verdict had come as a blow to the then Mayawati-led Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) Government in Uttar Pradesh, which had implemented the policy.
The BSP had raised this issue in the Budget Session of Parliament demanding a constitutional amendment to provide for such quotas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Sachin Saga: Tendulkar set to appear in world of digital gaming
- I share a good rapport with team members: Anil Kumble
- Sonia to flag off bus yatra to UP on July 23
- MS Dhoni to mentor talent with Craig McDermott's cricket academy in Australia
- Gujarat Dalit flogging incident: Four police officials suspended, says Rajnath Singh