PM to chair all-party meeting on promotion quota to SC/STs
New Delhi: The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, will chair an all-party meeting here on Tuesday to discuss reservation in job promotions for those belonging to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
The UPA Government is also expected to table a bill in this regard tomorrow.
After repeated adjournments in Rajya Sabha and turmoil in Lok Sabha, the government had earlier this month agreed to the members demand for bringing a Constitution Amendment Bill for reservation in promotion of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in state jobs.
Minister of State in the Prime Minister``s Office V. Narayanasamy had then informed the Rajya Sabha that the government would bring a bill in this regard on August 22.
"The Prime Minister will call a meeting of all party leaders on 21st of this month as has been demanded by the whole house. We will try to bring a bill on 22nd," he said.
The Supreme Court had earlier in April overruled the Uttar Pradesh Government``s decision to provide reservations in government job promotions.
The verdict had come as a blow to the then Mayawati-led Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) Government in Uttar Pradesh, which had implemented the policy.
The BSP had raised this issue in the Budget Session of Parliament demanding a constitutional amendment to provide for such quotas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly