PM to launch indigenously-built nuke sub on July 26
Hyderabad: The Eastern Naval Command at Visakhapatnam is gearing up for a unique milestone in India`s defence history on July 26 wherein Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will launch the indigenously-built nuclear-powered submarine that is tentatively named INS Arihant.
July 26 is celebrated as `Vijay Diwas` which marks
India`s triumph over Pakistani intruders in Kargil. Launch of
the indigenously-built nuclear-powered submarine has been
planned for July 26 to coincide with Vijay Diwas. A host of
Navy and defence officials are expected to grace the occasion.
Though the Navy authorities haven`t yet officially
confirmed the programme, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S
Rajasekhara Reddy announced the Prime Minister`s visit to
Visakhapatnam after a meeting with the latter in New Delhi
late last week. A senior Navy official told PTI over phone
from Visakhapatnam that everything related to the event was
being taken care of by Navy higher officials in New Delhi.
"Right now we have no information about the event as
such," the Navy official added. Said to be built under the
Advanced Technology Vessels (ATV) Programme at a cost of 2.9
billion USD at the Naval Dockyard in Visakha patnam, the
6,000-tonne submarine will be put on sea trials for two years
before being commissioned into full service. In the two years,
the submarine will also undergo harbour trials of its nuclear
reactor and other systems.
India previously used a leased Russian-built nuclear
submarine INS Chakra under then Capt R N Ganesh from January
1988 to January 1991.
With the launch of the indigenously-built nuclear-powered
submarine, India will join the exclusive club of US, Russia,
China, France and the UK with similar capabilities. The ATV
will give India the additional power of a nuclear weapon
strike from the sea, apart from surface and air which it
The ATV has been developed jointly by the Indian Navy and
the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). The
nuclear reactor of the submarine has reportedly been developed
at the Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam,
while the vessel is based on the Russian Akula-I class
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'