PM to meet Canadian counterpart on N-cooperation
New Delhi: Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh and visiting Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper will meet today in New Delhi to discuss civil nuclear cooperation and ways to step up bilateral trade and economic ties.
India and Canada will also sign agreements for enhancing cooperation in vital sectors of the economy.
Harper, who is on a six-day visit to India, arrived in New Delhi on Monday for bilateral talks aimed at strengthening trade and nuclear cooperation.
Harper arrived in India on Sunday evening in Agra where he stayed overnight for a view of the famed Taj Mahal monument.
Harper`s visit is being viewed, as the stepping-stone of a deal that would enable Canadian companies to sell their uranium to India.
The two countries also have been negotiating a civil nuclear energy deal, which would enable Canadian firms like Cameco Corp to export uranium to India.
Meanwhile, on Monday, Harper visited the tomb of Mughal emperor Humayun in New Delhi with his wife Laureen.
Harper will be in India from November 04-09 with International Trade Minister Ed Fast and a group of corporate executives. He will then fly off to the Philippines and Hong Kong.
Canada and India have been working for eight years on an agreement to protect foreign investment, but it was not clear if this might be signed on the trip. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!