PM to pay homage to Kargil martyrs before launching N-sub
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
will pay homage to the soldiers who laid down their lives
during the 1999 Kargil war at the Amar Jawan Jyoti here on
Singh would be accompanied by Defence Minister A K
Antony, Navy chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta, Army chief General
Deepak Kapoor and IAF chief Air Chief Marshal P V Naik,
Defence Ministry sources said.
Singh would visit the armed forces memorial to mark the
10th anniversary of India`s victory over Pakistan in Kargil
before leaving for Vishakapatnam to launch the country`s first
nuclear-power submarine sea trials.
Pakistani regulars had sneaked into Indian territory and
occupied the heights in Kargil sector of Jammu and Kashmir in
India had lost nearly 563 soldiers in the Kargil war and
yet recaptured all the hilltops that the Pakistan Army had
The Army was ably supported by the IAF, which had lost
two MiG-27 fighters and a Mi-17 helicopter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'