PM to Planning Commission: Address gaps in NREGA
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday expressed surprise that concurrent evaluation of NREGA scheme is "not in good shape" and directed the Planning Commission to address the deficiency and "gaps".
Making it clear that he was not "fully satisfied" with the way the scheme is working, he noted the problems like delayed payment to workers under the government`s flagship and said these should be addressed at the earliest.
"The Mahatma Gandhi NREGA story in numbers is a story worth telling.... The scheme scores high on inclusivness...No welfare scheme in recent memory has caught the imagination of the people as much as NREGA has," Singh said.
"...(but) statistics do not tell the whole truth," he said while releasing `NREGA Sameeksha", a collection of research studies conducted on the programme under which Rs 1,10,000 crore have been spent to pay wages to 1,200 crore people.
Singh said he was "surprised to hear from (Rural Development Minister) Jairam Ramesh that concurrent evaluation processes are not in good shape".
He referred to the "gaps" highlighted by Ramesh and Planning Commission member Mihir Shah that need to be fixed.
Concurrent evaluation is the assessment of the impact of the scheme while it is implemented, without waiting for annual or any other periodic audit.
"I don`t know why they are languishing, if they are at all languishing. But I would request (Planning Commission Deputy Chairman) Montek (Singh Ahluwalia) to apply his mind to making good this deficiency as well," he said.
Both Ramesh and Ahluwalia were present at the programme.
The Prime Minister recalled that when he was in the Planning Commission, the process of concurrent evaluation was started for a number of programmes of rural development.
Referring to the issue of delayed payments to NREGA workforce, he said, "sooner we tackle this problem of delayed payments, I think better results would be in the offing."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan