PM to prepare envoys for foreign policy challenges
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of a thaw with in ties with Pakistan and increasing calls for India to play a more proactive role in the international arena, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday will speak here to around 120 heads of Indian missions and outline his vision of a robust foreign policy amid the global slowdown.
He will inaugurate the fourth conference of Indian heads of missions, which will be held at Vigyan Bhavan.
Manmohan Singh is expected to share his vision of India`s place in a shifting world order and key foreign policy challenges facing the country`s diplomatic-strategic establishment.
Reliable sources indicated that the prime minister is expected to share his insights on India`s initiative in reviving the dialogue process with Pakistan amid frenzied speculation about his trip to Islamabad in the near future.
The conference takes place at a time when the global geopolitics is rapidly mutating with the shift of economic power from the West to the rest and the rise of emerging powers and a host of new challenges that require proactive multilateral diplomacy like climate change.
In a unique gathering, which has now become an annual affair, around 120 Indian envoys will brainstorm for three days in the Indian capital on a wide array of themes, including the UN reforms, counter-terrorism, nuclear proliferation, the situation in the Middle East, India-China relations and India-Pakistan ties.
Besides the Prime Minister, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna, Finance Minister P. Chidambaram, Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and Petroleum Minister S.Jaipal Reddy will be among those who will address the assembled Indian envoys.
The envoys will also call on President Pranab Mukherjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official