PM to present UPA-II report card today
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will present to the people Tuesday a ``report card`` on the performance of his government in the first year of its second tenure.
The ``Report to the People`` was originally scheduled to be unveiled at a function on May 22, exactly a year after the United Progressive Alliance-II returned to power.
However, the function was cancelled in view of the Air India Express plane crash in Mangalore in which 158 people were killed. The report card will list achievements of various ministries and departments.
The document is likely to chronicle among other things the Women``s Reservation Bill which has been passed in the Rajya Sabha. Congress president Sonia Gandhi is keen on securing its passage in the Lok Sabha but the measure has been put on hold in view of the stiff opposition by the Yadav trio - Mulayam Singh Yadav, Lalu Prasad and Sharad Yadav - demanding quota within quota.
The Right to Education (RTE) Act that would directly benefit at least one crore children is also expected to be highlighted in the report. On the foreign front, the government is expected to refer to the dialogue process with Pakistan and India``s efforts to cement ties with almost all its neighbours.
On the economic front, the report is expected to highlight how the government weathered the global financial crisis and the depression and managed to keep an impressive growth rate. Since 2004, when Congress-led UPA assumed power after ousting the BJP-led NDA, the government has been bringing out annual reports on its performance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why