PM to present UPA-II report card today
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will present to the people Tuesday a ``report card`` on the performance of his government in the first year of its second tenure.
The ``Report to the People`` was originally scheduled to be unveiled at a function on May 22, exactly a year after the United Progressive Alliance-II returned to power.
However, the function was cancelled in view of the Air India Express plane crash in Mangalore in which 158 people were killed. The report card will list achievements of various ministries and departments.
The document is likely to chronicle among other things the Women``s Reservation Bill which has been passed in the Rajya Sabha. Congress president Sonia Gandhi is keen on securing its passage in the Lok Sabha but the measure has been put on hold in view of the stiff opposition by the Yadav trio - Mulayam Singh Yadav, Lalu Prasad and Sharad Yadav - demanding quota within quota.
The Right to Education (RTE) Act that would directly benefit at least one crore children is also expected to be highlighted in the report. On the foreign front, the government is expected to refer to the dialogue process with Pakistan and India``s efforts to cement ties with almost all its neighbours.
On the economic front, the report is expected to highlight how the government weathered the global financial crisis and the depression and managed to keep an impressive growth rate. Since 2004, when Congress-led UPA assumed power after ousting the BJP-led NDA, the government has been bringing out annual reports on its performance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- Throwback pic! Virat Kohli showcases rockstar avatar, raps in AR Rahman's Chennai studio
- Simple steps to beautify your abode
- As NSG rejects India's membership bid, MEA says 'one country' persistently created procedural hurdles
- I-League: Salgaocar FC, Sporting Clube de Goa withdraw, to be absent from this season's roster
- AAP vs Centre: Home Ministry returns 14 Bills of Delhi govt, Kejriwal targets Modi