PM to release stamp on Kashmiri poet Ghulam Ahmad Mehjoor
Srinagar: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will release a postage stamp on renowned Kashmiri poet Ghulam Ahmad Mehjoor on Tuesday.
"Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will release a postage stamp on Mehjoor at SKICC Srinagar on June 25 in presence of UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi," an spokesman said.
John Samuel, Chief Post Master General Jammu and Kashmir, said the Department of Posts is bringing out the stamp on Mehjoor, a poet of great excellence and doyen of secularism.
This is the second occasion that a postage stamp on Kashmir is being released.
In 2006, the then President A P J Abdul Kalam released a postage stamp on J-K High Court on its 150th anniversary at the same venue.
Samuel said the stamp is of Rs 5 denomination, and will be available at Srinagar GPO after the its formal release. First Day Cover and information brochure will also be released on the occasion.
Samuel said that release of the postage stamp on Mehjoor is a historic event for the people of Jammu and Kashmir.
"Stamps represent cultural and historical importance of the society. The demand for the stamp on Mehjoor is expected to be very high due to his popularity as a poet," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Indian cricketers are getting married in Twenty20 mode
- SDM report holds Ryan school guilty of Divyansh's death