PM to review Delhi CWG preparations again
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will
tomorrow review the preparations for the Commonwealth Games,
which are less than a month away, at a high-level meeting.
This will be the second time within a month that Singh
would be reviewing the preparations for the October event for
which he had asked the authorities to "redouble their efforts"
to quickly complete remaining work as people were expecting a
"flawless" opening to the Commonwealth Games.
Admitting that there had been lapses and delays in
preparing for the Games, Singh had said that instead of
finding fault at this stage, everyone must work together so
that "we are proud" of hosting the event.
Sources said that weekly review meetings are also being
scheduled to assess the progress of the work.
He had earlier visited the Jawaharlal Nehru sports
complex, the venue of the opening and closing ceremonies of
the games, here as part of series of steps to streamline and
expedite the preparations for the October 3-14 mega event
which have been dogged by a spate of corruption allegations.
Concerned by the delays, Singh had convened a high-level
meeting on August 14 to review the preparations for the Games.
A committee of bureaucrats headed by Cabinet Secretary
K M Chandrasekhar was formed and given overriding powers by
bringing into its ambit the Games Organising Committee that
has been tainted following corruption allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH