PM to review Delhi CWG preparations again
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will
tomorrow review the preparations for the Commonwealth Games,
which are less than a month away, at a high-level meeting.
This will be the second time within a month that Singh
would be reviewing the preparations for the October event for
which he had asked the authorities to "redouble their efforts"
to quickly complete remaining work as people were expecting a
"flawless" opening to the Commonwealth Games.
Admitting that there had been lapses and delays in
preparing for the Games, Singh had said that instead of
finding fault at this stage, everyone must work together so
that "we are proud" of hosting the event.
Sources said that weekly review meetings are also being
scheduled to assess the progress of the work.
He had earlier visited the Jawaharlal Nehru sports
complex, the venue of the opening and closing ceremonies of
the games, here as part of series of steps to streamline and
expedite the preparations for the October 3-14 mega event
which have been dogged by a spate of corruption allegations.
Concerned by the delays, Singh had convened a high-level
meeting on August 14 to review the preparations for the Games.
A committee of bureaucrats headed by Cabinet Secretary
K M Chandrasekhar was formed and given overriding powers by
bringing into its ambit the Games Organising Committee that
has been tainted following corruption allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’