PM to take appropriate decision on participation in CHOGM: Narayanasamy
New Delhi: In the wake of demands for India boycotting the CHOGM summit in Colombo, Minister of State for PMO V Narayanasamy on Thursday said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will take an "appropriate" decision on participation in the event after looking into all relevant issues.
"The Prime Minister will weigh the pros and cons and then take a decision," he told reporters here when asked about India`s participation in Commonwealth Heads of Government summit in Sri Lanka next month.
Narayanasamy said there is still some time for India to take a decision on the Prime Minister`s visit to Colombo.
"In any case, the meeting is in November," he said.
Asked about the demands of Tamil Nadu political parties to boycott the CHOGM, the Minister said Sri Lanka should allay the concerns raised by the political parties about Tamils living in the island nation.
"Sri Lankan government should respond positively to the concerns raised by Tamil Nadu politicians," he said.
Scaling up pressure on the Centre, Tamil Nadu assembly today passed a unanimous resolution demanding that India "completely" boycott CHGM in Sri Lanka next month and seek "temporary suspension" of the island nation from the grouping till it grants equal status to Tamils living there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Adani Food's pulses processing unit proposal in SEZ rejected
- Wow! UP govt to set up theme park on K Asif's magnum opus ‘Mughal-e-Azam’ in Etawah
- India 'A' leads table with 11 points despite match with South Africa 'A' being abandoned due to rain
- Sakshi Malik's felicitation ceremony: Fans disappointed, as Netas hog limelight, wrestler doesn't get to speak
- All Audi India models to get petrol engines by Q1 2017