PM to visit Myanmar next month
New Delhi: Amid Myanmar`s strides towards
full democracy, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is expected to
undertake a visit to that country next month that is aimed at
bolstering the bilateral ties.
Singh is expected to go on a two-day visit dates for
which are being finalised through diplomatic channels, sources
said here on Monday.
The visit will take place at a time when Myanmar is
moving towards democracy, with pro-democracy icon Aung San Suu
Kyi winning byelections yesterday and set to enter Parliament.
Over the last few years, India has been developing its
relations with Myanmar with which it shares a long border.
India strongly resisted the US and Western countries
which were pushing it to implement the sanctions and speak up
on human rights violations in Myanmar two years back.
New Delhi always maintained that Myanmar`s military
rulers should be persuaded to move towards democracy through
dialogue rather than coercion which prove counterproductive.
India is actively involved in over a dozen projects in
Myanmar, both in infrastructural and non-infrastructural
These include upgradation and resurfacing of the
160km long Tamu-Kalewa-Kalemyo road, construction and
upgradation of the Rhi-Tiddim Road in Myanmar and the Kaladan
Multimodal Transport Project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state