PM urged to resolve issues of jailed `innocent` Muslims
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday gave an assurance to political parties that the government would set up a "mechanism" to resolve the issue of Muslims lodged in jails even after terror charges against them have not been proved.
"The Prime Minister has assured that he will not only forward the memorandum to the home minister but he will discuss with the home minister and ask him to set up a mechanism by which this problem is resolved. We also requested him that it should be time bound. He agreed with it," CPI (M) leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters after the delegation met Singh at his Parliament office.
Besides Yechury, Ram Vilas Paswan (LJP), Mani Shankar Aiyar (Congress), D Raja (CPI), Ramgopal Yadav (SP), Premchand Gupta (RJD), Shivanand Tiwari (JD-U) and MPs from DMK, National Conference, TDP and BSP submitted the memorandum to the prime minister seeking his intervention to the release of "innocent Muslims" lodged in jails across the country.
"After years of physical and psychological torture, some of these innocent victims gain their freedom through our painfully slow legal process. What the years of unremitting misery, unfair defamation and separation from families have done to these broken men and their kin is too horrible to express in words," the memorandum said.
According to Yechury, Muslim youth who were arrested in suspicion of the blasts in Mecca Masjid in Hyderabad, Malegaon, Ajmer and Nanded, continue to remain in jail, even after the investigations established that other right wing groups were responsible for the bombings.
"This is unacceptable in a civil society. It’s not acceptable in a democracy. It`s not an issue of any one particular religion. It is an issue of the fundamental democratic right of every human being under our Constitution," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone