PM urged to secure fishermen`s release from Sri Lanka
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has requested Prime Minister Narendra Modi to intervene and secure the release of Indian fishermen and their fishing boats from Sri Lankan custody.
In a letter to Modi Tuesday, text of which was released to the media here Wednesday, Jayalalithaa said: "I once again request your immediate intervention to secure the release of the 43 Indian fishermen from Tamil Nadu and their 55 fishing boats, including the 46 mechanised fishing boats, that are already under Sri Lankan custody."
Citing the recent arrest of 43 fishermen from Tamil Nadu by Sri Lanka, she said: "The instances of apprehension of our fishermen continue unabated and are creating a sense of fear, anxiety and unrest among the fishermen community in Tamil Nadu."
Sri Lanka is following a deliberate strategy of destroying the primary means of livelihood of Indian fishermen by impounding their fishing vessels, the chief minister said.
She requested the central government to take up the matter with the Lankan government for the release of impounded fishing boats and gear before these are rendered useless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why