PM voices shock and sadness over US Gurdwara killings
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday expressed shock and sadness over the shooting incident at a Gurdwara in the US and hoped authorities there will ensure "conditions" that such violent acts are not repeated.
"I am deeply shocked and saddened to learn of the shooting incident that has resulted in the loss of precious lives and injuries to devotees attending a prayer service at a Gurdwara in Wisconsin, USA," he said in a statement here.
"We hope that the authorities will reach out to the grieving families and ensure conditions that such violent acts are not repeated in the future," Singh said.
The Prime Minister said what was more painful was the fact that this "senseless act of violence" should be targeted at a religious place.
"I send my deepest condolences to the families that have been bereaved in this incident. Our thoughts are with them in this moment of their grief."
Stating that India stands in solidarity with all the peace-loving Americans who have condemned this violence, he welcomed US President Barack Obama`s statement on the tragic incident.
Later talking to reporters, the Prime Minister said he was "enormously" saddened by the incident and hoped the "American authorities will investigate who were behind this dastardly attack".
"...I sincerely hope that the American authorities will do all that is necessary to investigate the case, provide relief and succour to the affected families," he said.
Six people were killed in the attack on the gurdwara during Sunday morning prayers in Wisconsin by at least one gunman who was also shot dead, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’