PM welcomes Pakistan`s MFN status to India
Cannes: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday welcomed Pakistan`s decision to grant Most Favoured Nation status to India but said it should have been done long ago.
"Better late than never. I welcome it," Singh told reporters here in this French coastal resort when asked about Pakistan`s decision to grant MFN status to India.
He said, "as one who believes that, rightly or wrongly, the destinies of countries in South Asia are very closely linked. I welcome the decision of Pakistan to grant us the Most Favoured Nation treatment."
However, the Prime Minister felt this decision should have come long ago.
"I think it is nearly 17 years ago when India gave most favoured nation status to Pakistan unilaterally and Pakistan has taken so much time," Singh said.
Pakistan Cabinet had on Wednesday decided to grant MFN status to India but later it gave confusing signals by saying that it was only a move for normalisation of bilateral trade relations that will "culminate" with MFN.
India had granted Pakistan MFN status way back in 1996 but Islamabad had so far held out on reciprocating due to opposition from some trade lobbies and religious and hardline political parties which contended that such a move would harm
the country`s stand on the Kashmir issue.
The Prime Minister went on to add that the Pakistan`s decision was a reflection within the SAARC context, countries can work together to realise growth potential.
"If this is a reflection of a new change, a new mindset, I welcome it. We have to watch," Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey