PM, wife pledge to donate eyes
New Delhi: Setting an example, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his wife Gursharan Singh on Thursday pledged to donate their eyes.
Singh and Kaur signed the pledge form on the occasion of National Eye Donation day.
There are over 4.5 million visually challenged persons in the country and doctors feel that at least three million can gain their sight through cornea transplant.
Eye donation can help restore vision among the corneally-blind.
There are more than 400 organisations registered with Eye Bank Association of India which are spreading awareness about eye donation and facilitating eye donation.
A non-metered service number 1919 has been provided by BSNL and MTNL all over the country to facilitate easy access to the nearest eye bank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state