PM yet to decide on Sri Lanka visit: Officials
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s letter to DMK chief M. Karunanidhi may have set off speculation about his participation in the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meet (CHOGM) in Colombo next month but there has been no official word from his office cancelling his attendance, officials said Thursday.
The prime minister’s letter to Karunanidhi ,saying he would take the concerns of the party and the Tamils into consideration while deciding about his participation in the Nov 15-17 54-nation event, has created a flutter among Tamil parties which have been demanding that he should not go to Colombo over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
But there has been no change announced in plans so far, or arrangements made for some other person to represent the prime minister, knowledgeable sources told a news agency.
One authoritative source brushed aside reports of the prime minister cancelling the visit as “speculation”.
Sri Lanka, an important neighbor, is very keen that Manmohan Singh attend the Colombo CHOGM summit that the country is hosting. Its Foreign Minister G.L. Peiris was in New Delhi in August to personally deliver the invite to the prime minister. “We would very much like him to be there. It is very important," Peiris had said.
During his visit to Sri Lanka earlier this month, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid had dodged a question on the prime minister’s participation.
Asked pointedly during a press conference in Colombo if Manmohan Singh would be attending, Khurshid had said that an “announcement would be made at an appropriate time” and it would come from “the Prime Minister`s Office”.
The DMK had quit the United Progressive Alliance government in March this year expressing its unhappiness over the Indian government’s policy on the Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA