PMO allows ED to quiz Puducherry L-G
New Delhi: The Prime Minister`s Office has
given a nod to questioning of Puducherry Lt Governor Iqbal
Singh by the Enforcement Directorate for his alleged links
with suspected money launderer Hasan Ali Khan.
Sources said the clearance was given when the file
seeking such permission reached the PMO.
They said that governors enjoy immunity only in matters
relating to discharge of their constitutional duties and "in
this case, there was no need for a permission from the PMO."
Home Minister P Chidambaram had said yesterday his
ministry was working out modalities for recording the
statement of the Lt Governor before the ED.
"The LG is willing to make a statement to the
Enforcement Directorate," he had said after a meeting with
The ED is believed to have sent summons to Singh after
his name cropped up during questioning of a Bihar based
Congress leader Amlendu Pandey in connection with
recommendation for expeditious issuance of passport to Khan,
a Pune stud farm owner.
Singh has admitted to having given such a recommendation
but claimed he never knew him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire