PMO allows ED to quiz Puducherry L-G
New Delhi: The Prime Minister`s Office has
given a nod to questioning of Puducherry Lt Governor Iqbal
Singh by the Enforcement Directorate for his alleged links
with suspected money launderer Hasan Ali Khan.
Sources said the clearance was given when the file
seeking such permission reached the PMO.
They said that governors enjoy immunity only in matters
relating to discharge of their constitutional duties and "in
this case, there was no need for a permission from the PMO."
Home Minister P Chidambaram had said yesterday his
ministry was working out modalities for recording the
statement of the Lt Governor before the ED.
"The LG is willing to make a statement to the
Enforcement Directorate," he had said after a meeting with
The ED is believed to have sent summons to Singh after
his name cropped up during questioning of a Bihar based
Congress leader Amlendu Pandey in connection with
recommendation for expeditious issuance of passport to Khan,
a Pune stud farm owner.
Singh has admitted to having given such a recommendation
but claimed he never knew him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'