PMO allows ED to quiz Puducherry L-G
New Delhi: The Prime Minister`s Office has
given a nod to questioning of Puducherry Lt Governor Iqbal
Singh by the Enforcement Directorate for his alleged links
with suspected money launderer Hasan Ali Khan.
Sources said the clearance was given when the file
seeking such permission reached the PMO.
They said that governors enjoy immunity only in matters
relating to discharge of their constitutional duties and "in
this case, there was no need for a permission from the PMO."
Home Minister P Chidambaram had said yesterday his
ministry was working out modalities for recording the
statement of the Lt Governor before the ED.
"The LG is willing to make a statement to the
Enforcement Directorate," he had said after a meeting with
The ED is believed to have sent summons to Singh after
his name cropped up during questioning of a Bihar based
Congress leader Amlendu Pandey in connection with
recommendation for expeditious issuance of passport to Khan,
a Pune stud farm owner.
Singh has admitted to having given such a recommendation
but claimed he never knew him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa