PMO allows ED to quiz Puducherry L-G
New Delhi: The Prime Minister`s Office has
given a nod to questioning of Puducherry Lt Governor Iqbal
Singh by the Enforcement Directorate for his alleged links
with suspected money launderer Hasan Ali Khan.
Sources said the clearance was given when the file
seeking such permission reached the PMO.
They said that governors enjoy immunity only in matters
relating to discharge of their constitutional duties and "in
this case, there was no need for a permission from the PMO."
Home Minister P Chidambaram had said yesterday his
ministry was working out modalities for recording the
statement of the Lt Governor before the ED.
"The LG is willing to make a statement to the
Enforcement Directorate," he had said after a meeting with
The ED is believed to have sent summons to Singh after
his name cropped up during questioning of a Bihar based
Congress leader Amlendu Pandey in connection with
recommendation for expeditious issuance of passport to Khan,
a Pune stud farm owner.
Singh has admitted to having given such a recommendation
but claimed he never knew him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!