PMO, CVC at loggerheads over appointment of CBI Additional Director
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Ahead of the General Elections, the Prime Minister`s Office has flouted established procedures by appointing Archana Ramasundram as the Central Bureau of Investigation`s Additional Director, without receiving clearance from Central Vigilance Commission as required.
Section 26 of the CVC Act rules that the Additional Director`s name must be cleared by the Chief Vigilance Commissioner.
According to reports, the PMO appointed Ramasundram, the Tamil Nadu cadre IPS officer, at the insistence of CBI chief Ranjit Sinha. The CVC had reportedly recommended an IPS officer from West Bengal cadre RK Pachnanda to the post. The PMO, however, ignored CVC`s recommendation.
A news channel reports that the CVC will write to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, mentioning that it does not recognise the appointment of Ramasundram as the CBI`s Additional Director.
The BJP and Congress are at the loggerheads over the issue. Reacting to the issue, a news daily quoted BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman as saying: “The government is imposing its officers on CBI. Inadvertent mistakes don`t happen in such high-level appointments. There is a clear violation of rules in this appointment.”
Congress spokesperson Sanjay Jha, however, defended the appointment, saying, "The government sought the opinion of the Law Ministry and Solicitor-General on the appointment. All factors were taken into consideration. The country has got an additional CBI Director who is extremely competent.”
The CVC was set up in 1964 and has evolved over the decades from a single-member body to multi-member statutory body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!