PMO rejects Modi`s claim on Sir Creek
New Delhi: Prime Minister`s Office on Wednesday rejected a claim by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi that Sir Creek was being "handed over" to Pakistan, terming it as "mischievous" and questioned its timing.
Responding to a letter written by Modi to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, PMO said, "Allegation in the letter that Sir Creek is about to be given to Pakistan is untrue... The other conclusions drawn by Shri Modi on this alleged fact are also not real."
Raising question over timing of the letter, PMO said, "The contents of the letter and the timing of its release to the public raise questions about the motives behind its issue... The writing and release of this baseless letter by the CM of Gujarat in his "personal" capacity, a day before elections, is mischievous."
It said the Gujarat Chief Minister has written the letter without making any efforts to ascertain the facts from the Government of India.
The PMO pointed out that the discussions on Sir Creek has been going on since the time of BJP-led government.
"The (Sir Creek) discussions have been carried out by successive Governments of India since the dialogue process began in 1998... These discussions continued after Shri Atal Behari Vajpayee`s visit to Lahore," it said.
Modi expressed apprehensions just ahead of Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik will be travelling here from December 14 to discuss a range of bilateral issues.
Modi, in his letter to the Prime Minister, had said Sir Creek, a marshy land in Gujarat, should "not be handed over to Pakistan" and talks on this issue should be stopped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks