PMO rejects Modi`s claim on Sir Creek
New Delhi: Prime Minister`s Office on Wednesday rejected a claim by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi that Sir Creek was being "handed over" to Pakistan, terming it as "mischievous" and questioned its timing.
Responding to a letter written by Modi to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, PMO said, "Allegation in the letter that Sir Creek is about to be given to Pakistan is untrue... The other conclusions drawn by Shri Modi on this alleged fact are also not real."
Raising question over timing of the letter, PMO said, "The contents of the letter and the timing of its release to the public raise questions about the motives behind its issue... The writing and release of this baseless letter by the CM of Gujarat in his "personal" capacity, a day before elections, is mischievous."
It said the Gujarat Chief Minister has written the letter without making any efforts to ascertain the facts from the Government of India.
The PMO pointed out that the discussions on Sir Creek has been going on since the time of BJP-led government.
"The (Sir Creek) discussions have been carried out by successive Governments of India since the dialogue process began in 1998... These discussions continued after Shri Atal Behari Vajpayee`s visit to Lahore," it said.
Modi expressed apprehensions just ahead of Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik will be travelling here from December 14 to discuss a range of bilateral issues.
Modi, in his letter to the Prime Minister, had said Sir Creek, a marshy land in Gujarat, should "not be handed over to Pakistan" and talks on this issue should be stopped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India