PMO unhappy over inaction by Coal Ministry
New Delhi: Amidst the storm over CAG report on coal block allocation, the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) has expressed displeasure over inaction by the Coal Ministry in cancelling blocks where mining has not taken place and asked it to expedite the matter by September 6.
The PMO communication to the Coal Ministry came ahead of the Inter-Ministerial Group Meeting (IMG) on Monday to take a decision on the fate of 58 coal blocks including 25 blocks allocated to private companies like Tata Power, Reliance Power and ArcelorMittal.
Sources said that the PMO on August 27 conveyed to the coal ministry its concern over inaction with regard to de-allocation of blocks to which show-cause notices have been issued.
The government in April had began the process of slapping notices on companies that failed to develop the 58 coal blocks within the stipulated time. Apart from Tata Power, Reliance Power and ArcelorMittal, notices were issued to firms like Hindalco, Grasim Industries, GVK Power, MMTC and others.
Subsequently, in June, it had formed the IMG to review the progress of coal blocks allocated to companies for captive use. It is headed by Additional Secretary Coal Zohra Chatterji and has representatives of steel, power, law, economic affairs and mines ministries, among others.
Separately, the CBI is investigating criminality in 12 firms which were given licenses under the `fast track` category but had not yet commenced mining of the allocated coal blocks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert