PMO unhappy over inaction by Coal Ministry
New Delhi: Amidst the storm over CAG report on coal block allocation, the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) has expressed displeasure over inaction by the Coal Ministry in cancelling blocks where mining has not taken place and asked it to expedite the matter by September 6.
The PMO communication to the Coal Ministry came ahead of the Inter-Ministerial Group Meeting (IMG) on Monday to take a decision on the fate of 58 coal blocks including 25 blocks allocated to private companies like Tata Power, Reliance Power and ArcelorMittal.
Sources said that the PMO on August 27 conveyed to the coal ministry its concern over inaction with regard to de-allocation of blocks to which show-cause notices have been issued.
The government in April had began the process of slapping notices on companies that failed to develop the 58 coal blocks within the stipulated time. Apart from Tata Power, Reliance Power and ArcelorMittal, notices were issued to firms like Hindalco, Grasim Industries, GVK Power, MMTC and others.
Subsequently, in June, it had formed the IMG to review the progress of coal blocks allocated to companies for captive use. It is headed by Additional Secretary Coal Zohra Chatterji and has representatives of steel, power, law, economic affairs and mines ministries, among others.
Separately, the CBI is investigating criminality in 12 firms which were given licenses under the `fast track` category but had not yet commenced mining of the allocated coal blocks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened