PM`s appeal to all secular forces to unite against Modi a call of desperation: BJP
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Wednesday lashed out at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for asking all secular forces to unite against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, saying it is a call of desperation.
"The PM`s appeal to the secular parties to come together to fight Modi is a call of desperation because they know very well, they can read the writing on the wall that increasing popularity of Modi, increasing mobilization behind BJP is sure to knock them out. And that`s why, they are now afraid," said BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar.
"And therefore, they are trying everything possible. This is a call of a person who is desperate to cling on to his position. So, this tells the story of the mood of the nation," he added.
Dr Singh yesterday appealed to all secular forces to `combine` to face the `onslaught` of BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Modi.
"I sincerely hope that all secular forces would combine to face the onslaught of people like Mr. Narendra Modi. And I have every reason to believe that that will happen. You wait for some time before the people realise what they are up against," he told media on his way back from the U.S. and the United Nations, when asked, whether the emergence of Modi on the national scene is a threat to the secular polity of our country.
While Dr Singh was on a week-long visit to the United States, Modi had criticised him for not resigning from office in the wake of the disrespect shown to him by the Congress Party and for taking a soft stance with Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling