PM`s J&K trip: Army’s fears found unsubstantiated
Srinagar: Army has sent messages warning of a
suicide attack during Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit to
Jammu and Kashmir, but they have been found to be
unsubstantiated by the state police and central security
The Army establishment in the valley had pressed panic
buttons by claiming that Lashkar-e-Toiba commander Abdullah
Unni was planning to carry out a suicide attack during Singh`s
visit starting Monday, official sources said.
Communications were sent to the state as well as the
Centre for shifting of the venue of the Prime Minister`s
official engagements to Cantonment area, a proposal rejected
by the state government.
The state police and the central security agencies sought
the coordinates of the intercept of the terrorists by the
Army, but it turned it down citing operational reasons, the
The state police had sought the CD of the conversation
between the terrorists to get a voice sample of Abdullah Unni
which was also not provided by the Army, they said.
There were other intercepts the Army has claimed to have
picked up from the border in North Kashmir but none of them
could be corroborated independently by the state or central
security agencies, the sources said.
During the last visit of Congress president Sonia Gandhi
to the state, Army had picked up two engineers who were
planning to visit secretariat for attending a meeting.
Army intelligence had earlier also provided an input
about the World Badminton championship in Hyderabad, which was
later found to be incorrect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Sakshi Malik expresses desire to meet Virender Sehwag – Read Viru's HILARIOUS reply
- Airtel upgrades over 9,000 network sites under Open Network
- Thrilled to be a grandfather: Boman Irani
- Misbah-ul-Haq's conversation with wife Uzma on Twitter is a HUGE hit on the internet!
- Leicester City midfielder Danny Drinkwater signs new five-year contract