PM`s "lack" of leadership has made UPA "sinking ship": BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Thursday took potshots at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, alleging his "lack" of leadership had made the UPA government a "sinking ship" and prompted even allies like Trinamool Congress to declare that he should be moved to the President`s post.
"By offering his name as a candidate for President, the UPA allies have shown that they do not see Manmohan Singh as Prime Minister. The coalition partners of UPA want to relieve him of his duties and make him the President," BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said.
He charged there is lack of balance, leadership and mutual trust in UPA government.
"This is a leader-less government. UPA lacks direction. Under the leadership of Manmohan Singh, UPA is a sinking ship. If his own allies do not have trust in him, how can the country trust him?" Hussain said seizing on the discomfiture in UPA over Presidential nominee choice.
BJP alleged the PM and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee have failed to control price rise and not taken strong steps they promised to deal with the problem.
The oppposition party alleged that inspite of the present crisis in UPA over choosing a Presidential candidate, the "arrogance" of Congress refuses to ebb. "Even today, Congress has answered its allies in an arrogant language," Hussain said.
The party maintained the rift in UPA is clearly visible.
"At a time when Congress should be clearing its name in a slew of corruption cases, it is busy trying to save the coalition... It is cornered by its own problems and no more concerned about the country," Hussain said.
BJP claimed the "failures" of UPA government and the Prime Minister were now affecting the standing of Congress President Sonia Gandhi too.
"Mamata Banerjee cancelled at 10, Janpath the two names given by Sonia Gandhi for President`s post. Later, with Mulayam Singh Yadav, she offered three names to Sonia Gandhi.... The trust in coalition dharma has ended... Now, the leadership of Sonia Gandhi is also being questioned by allies at her doorstep," Hussain said.
Asked if the name of former President A P J Abdul Kalam, floated by TMC and SP, was acceptable to NDA, Hussain said "Kalam is a respected leader. The country takes pride in him.
NDA will meet tomorrow to discuss the present political situation and the Presidential elections. Names will also be discussed in the meeting."
However, he maintained Congress should first come out with its candidate and then NDA will spell out its stand.
The party also expressed disappointment with Mukherjee alleging the Finance Minister has failed to take concrete measures to check prices.
"Today, he did not say anything about effective steps being taken to curb price rise. He only said prices have gone up marginally, as if that is an achievement," Hussain said.
He sought to know why oil prices have not come down when at the international level the cost of crude has fallen to $82.84 per gallon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh