PM`s push for self-certification of documents
New Delhi: In a bid to save the common man from hassles, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday pushed for shifting to self-certification of documents and pitched for minimum use of affidavits.
In the landmark initiative, all ministries and departments at the Centre and in states have been asked to make provision for self-certification of documents in place of affidavits.
The requirement of attestation by gazetted officers is sought to be replaced by self-certification by the citizen, a PMO statement said.
Under the self-certification method, the original documents are required to be produced at the final stage.
The Prime Minister, during his meeting with all Union Secretaries on June 4, had spoken of reforming the public service delivery system and bridging the governance deficit.
"This measure is a start in that direction. It is expected to benefit the people immensely, as all affidavits not required by law shall eventually be done away with," the statement said.
In a communication addressed to all secretaries of the central government as well as Chief Secretaries of states and Administrators of Union Territories, the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances has noted that "obtaining either an attested copy or affidavit not only costs money to the poor citizen but also involves wastage of time of the citizens as well as of the government officials."
The Department has called for a review of the existing requirement of affidavits and attestation by gazetted officers, and replacement by self-certification.
In case of false self-certification, the person can be booked under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code.
Getting an affidavit is a tough task for the common man. People have to either shell out money to get affidavits from notary or approach a gazetted officer.
Gazetted officers are often reluctant to attest documents due to lack of documents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security