PM`s rare miss: Can`t make to Rao`s birth anniv
New Delhi: In a rare miss, prime minister Manmohan Singh today could not make it to a prayer meeting to commemorate the 92nd birth anniversary of late Prime Minister P V Narasimha Rao due to urgent meetings.
Singh is a regular at such meetings being held to commemorate birth and death anniversaries of Rao, his political guru under whose request he joined politics in the 90s.
The Prime Minister had accepted the invitation from the P V Narasimha Rao Memorial Committee to attend the prayer meeting at Andhra Pradesh Bhawan.
However, Singh did not turn up at the meet attended by Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju and other senior leaders from the state.
Sources said Singh could not make it to the function as he had to attend urgent meetings with Finance Ministry officials.
They said the Prime Minister spoke to late Rao`s son and apologised for his absence.
Singh was Finance Minister under Rao during his tenure from 1991-96.
Controversial god man Chandrswami, who was close to Rao, was also present at the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured