‘PM`s remark on flag hoisting surrender’
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Sunday accused Prime Minister Manmohan Singh of "psychologically surrendering" to Kashmir separatists by describing the party`s decision to hoist the national flag in Srinagar as "divisive".
Addressing media persons here, BJP senior leader Arun Jaitley said: "When two people speak in New Delhi about the segregation of the (Jammu and Kashmir) territory, it passes off as a right to free expression. But when as an assertion of India`s sovereignty, the national flag is sought to be hoisted in Srinagar, it is dubbed as divisive."
Describing the Prime Minister`s stand as "unacceptable", Jaitley wondered how could the hoisting of the national flag be "divisive and provocative".
On Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukharjee`s comparing the stalling of Parliament by the opposition with the Maoists, Jaitley suggested that the minister be more restrained in his utterances.
Obstructing Parliamentary procedures in a "rarest of rare" situation was part of Parliamentary functioning, Jaitley claimed.
He said the Congress too had resorted to similar obstruction when the party was in the opposition and "we never compared it with Maoists".
The BJP leader slammed the Jammu and Kashmir government and the Centre for unleashing a reign of repression on the workers of the party`s youth wing, which is on its "yatra" (march) to Srinagar to hoist the national flag on Republic Day.
The "disproportionate reaction" from the state and the Central governments pointed to the "state of panic" they were in, Jaitley said describing it as "unconstitutional and undemocratic".
He said it was every citizen`s right to hoist the national flag on Republic Day and no power can stop it.
On Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa`s expected arrival in Delhi, Jaitley said the Chief Minister will meet senior party leaders including himself (Jaitley).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!