PM`s `theek hai` remark draws more flak
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s interrogative `theek hai` remark which inadvertently went on air along with his address to the nation on the Delhi gang- rape incident drew more flak on Tuesday on social media.
On Tuesday, `Theek hai` (which means alright in Hindi) continued to be one of the top trending posts on Twitter along with `Subhash Tomar`, the constable who died two days after the violent protests and clashes, and `Merry Christmas`.
"Silence is truly golden if the spoken word is rusted and needs drastic polishing!!!," film maker Karan Johar said in a tweet followed by the `thik hai` hashtag.
While Johar`s comment did not specifically refer to the Prime Minister`s nationally televised speech yesterday in which the remark went on air due to editing error, the `thik hai` hash tag pointed to the purport of the sentence.
Socialite Suhel Seth included the now famous phrase in his Christmas and New Year wishes in a sarcastic fashion. "Here`s wishing all of you a Theek Hai Merry Christmas and an even more Theek Hai 2013!," Seth tweeted.
A section of the Twitterati was apparently not assuaged by the Prime Minister`s speech in which he made an appeal for calm. "Mr Prime Minister, You should know what is Theek Hai and what is not. This is not how you treat women," a comment went.
Others adopted a philosophical approach to the situation. "But good to see we have progressed from chaltahai to theek hai. It suits our overall fatalistic approach to life and society," a tweet said.
Another tweet was a comment on the current situation in the Capital. "Central Delhi Metros still shut; autos won`t go the whole way; Theek Hai Chal ke jayenge :)," the user tweeted.
On the social networking site Facebook, the innocuous comment--theek hai--featured even in Christmas wishes. "Here`s hoping the next Christmas is merrier than this one. `thik hai`," commented one of the users.
Earlier, film actor Anupam Kher tweeted--PM?s ?Theek Hai? at d end of his Address (to the person behind camera) was d most Candid & Natural expression I have EVER seen from him.
Other tweets on Twitter reflected more sarcasm and anger. "Our Prime Minister needs a new speech writer...," an angry tweet said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video