PM’s trip: Menon makes unscheduled visit to Dhaka
Dhaka: National Security Adviser Shivshankar
Menon paid an unscheduled visit to the Bangladesh capital, his
second within a week to review the last-minute preparations
for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s September 6-7 visit here.
Official sources said Menon was in Dhaka for a few hours
on Saturday to review the latest developments linked to Singh`s
"Mr Menon held meetings with Water Resources Minister
Ramesh Sen and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina`s Foreign Affairs
Adviser Gawher Rizvi and Economic Affairs Adviser Mashiur
Rahman," a source said without elaborating.
The source said Menon represented Indian Water Resource
Minister PK Bansal in the meeting with Sen, whose counterpart
is expected in Dhaka ahead of Singh`s visit, as the two
countries are set to ink a deal on sharing of waters of Teesta
river coinciding with the meeting of their Prime Ministers.
Earlier, the NSA had come to Dhaka on August 28 on a two-
day tour and held extensive talks with Bangladeshi leaders,
including Hasina, to fine tune agreements, MoUs and protocols
that are expected to be signed during Singh`s visit. The
issues discussed included connectivity, trade, power, border,
water, security and culture.
In a related development, Indian security officials
yesterday held extensive meetings with their Bangladesh
counterparts at the Prime Minister`s office on issues related
to Singh`s security during his tour, officials said.
"They held long meetings and reviewed the security
arrangements," an Indian High Commission spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users