Police are lying, says assaulted Arunima Sinha
New Delhi: A volleyball player Wednesday accused the Uttar Pradesh Police of lying after they doubted her claim that she lost her leg after being thrown out of a running train by criminals.
Arunima Sinha, who lost one of her legs in the tragic incident, told a news channel: "How can the Uttar Pradesh Police claim there was no scuffle when there wasn`t any police officer in the compartment? Police doesn`t know the truth and (are) lying."
A resident of Ambedkar Nagar, Arunima said she was pushed out of the general compartment of Padmawati Express while resisting a chain-snatching attempt April 12.
Her left leg came under the wheels of another train passing on the parallel track.
Additional Director General of Government Railway Police (GRP) A.K. Jain Tuesday said that investigations had revealed that Arunima`s story had many holes.
"We have reason to suspect that she suffered the injuries either in an attempt to commit suicide or she met with an accident, but chose to blame it on crime in the railways," he said.
Arunima denied saying she was going for an Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) entrance examination when the incident took place.
"I did not fill any application form of ITBP. I had filled a Staff Selection Commission (SSC) examination form for other paramilitary forces. I was coming to Delhi to get my date of birth corrected in a form," she said.
The GRP took her to a district hospital after the incident where she lay injured, traumatised for two days before she could narrate the whole incident. She is now being treated at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- US gives proof of Pakistan's hand in Pathankot strike
- 3rd ODI: After contributing with bat, Ben Stokes eager to bowl against Pakistan
- Foreigners should not wear skirts and roam alone at night: Tourism minister
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan spills glamour at Lakme Fashion Week 2016! – View pics
- Most Asian markets slump, Tokyo soars on US rate talk