Police begin probe in complaint against Asaram Bapu
Jaipur: Investigators on Thursday recorded statements of several people on spiritual leader Asaram Bapu`s ashram in Rajasthan`s Jodhpur over the complaint of sexual assault lodged against the godman by a 16-year-old girl, police said Thursday. Asaram Bapu has denied the allegation.
A girl had given a complaint in a police station in central Delhi Tuesday accusing the godman of sexually assaulting her, police said.
"After receiving the copy of the complaint from Delhi Police, we registered a first information report (FIR) against Asaram Bapu at a police station in Jodhpur," a police officer said.
"He has been booked under various sections of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act and other sections of the Indian Penal Code," a police officer told IANS.
The officer said that statements of several people at the ashram were recorded.
"We are verifying whether the girl and her parents were at the ashram on Aug 15 when the girl says she was sexually assaulted," said the officer.
Some followers of the spiritual leader gathered in the office of the Jodhpur police commissioner and said that the allegation of sexual assault was a conspiracy.
Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot told media persons here that the investigation will be based on "facts and truth".
"I have spoken to the Jodhpur police commissioner and asked him to investigate the case at every level, and ensure action based on truth and facts," said Gehlot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends