Police begin probe in complaint against Asaram Bapu
Jaipur: Investigators on Thursday recorded statements of several people on spiritual leader Asaram Bapu`s ashram in Rajasthan`s Jodhpur over the complaint of sexual assault lodged against the godman by a 16-year-old girl, police said Thursday. Asaram Bapu has denied the allegation.
A girl had given a complaint in a police station in central Delhi Tuesday accusing the godman of sexually assaulting her, police said.
"After receiving the copy of the complaint from Delhi Police, we registered a first information report (FIR) against Asaram Bapu at a police station in Jodhpur," a police officer said.
"He has been booked under various sections of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act and other sections of the Indian Penal Code," a police officer told IANS.
The officer said that statements of several people at the ashram were recorded.
"We are verifying whether the girl and her parents were at the ashram on Aug 15 when the girl says she was sexually assaulted," said the officer.
Some followers of the spiritual leader gathered in the office of the Jodhpur police commissioner and said that the allegation of sexual assault was a conspiracy.
Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot told media persons here that the investigation will be based on "facts and truth".
"I have spoken to the Jodhpur police commissioner and asked him to investigate the case at every level, and ensure action based on truth and facts," said Gehlot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing