Police checking if Namdhari killed Ponty
New Delhi: Sukhdev Singh Namdhari`s role in the killing of liquor baron Ponty Chadha is being looked into, police said Sunday. The accused has already been booked for murdering the businessman`s younger brother Hardeep.
"We are investigating each and every angle and Namdhari`s role is suspicious in whole the gun battle. Our investigation is still on," Deputy Commissioner of Police (Crime and Railways) S.B.S. Tyagi said.
Ponty and his younger brother were killed in a gun battle Nov 17 at Chhattarpur farmhouse No. 42 in south Delhi over the property`s possession.
The officer, who did not want to be named, said that Ponty was hit by bullets which came in from two different directions. While Hardeep was firing from one direction, the source of bullets fired from the other was still to be identified, he said.
We were working on the possibility that Namdhari may have fired at Ponty, he said.
"This theory might be wrong, but we have to investigate from all possible angles," said the source.
Namdhari, who was sacked from the post of chairman of the Uttarakhand Minorities Commission after Chadha brothers` killings, was arrested from his farmhouse in Uttarakhand Nov 23.
Police Sunday booked him under section 302 (murder) of Indian Penal Code for killing Hardeep.
He earlier told police that he opened fire in self-defence and was booked under charges of trespass and attempt to murder.
Police were still waiting for the ballistic report which would confirm the type of weapon and bullets used in the gun battle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter