Police complaint filed against Narendra Modi’s ‘puppy’ remark in Hyderabad
Hyderabad: A complaint has been filed against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi at a police station in Hyderabad on Sunday over remarks he made about the post-Godhra riots.
Ghulam Rabbani, a practising advocate, lodged the two-page complaint with Santosh Nagar police station, seeking legal action against Modi and his immediate arrest terming his statements as “highly provocative and malicious against Muslim community, with an intention to wound their religious feelings and promote enmity between Muslims and Hindus”.
The police, who received the complaint, said it has not yet registered any case and is seeking legal opinion.
“The complaint was entered in the general diary of the police station,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (South Zone) Tarun Joshi said, clarifying that “This is not a jurisdictional complaint falling in our area. We will take legal opinion, otherwise we will transfer the complaint to the police station concerned”.
Modi made the remarks during an interview given to the Reuters news agency at his official residence in Gandhinagar on July 12, on the 2002 post-Godhra riots in Gujarat.
The Gujarat chief minister came under sharp attack from the Congress, SP, CPI(M), CPI and JD(U) for his remarks in the interview during which he claimed that he had not done anything wrong with regard to the riots.
A Special Investigation Team (SIT) set up by the Supreme Court had given him a “thoroughly clean chit”, Modi said during the interview.
When asked if he regretted the riots, Modi’s answer that even if a “puppy comes under the wheel of a car, one felt sad,” drew particularly sharp condemnation from his political rivals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price