Police custody till April 5 for six Somali pirates
Mumbai: Six out of the 16 Somali pirates,
who were recently arrested from high seas after the Navy
foiled their attack on a foreign merchant vessel, were on Wednesday
remanded in police custody for six days, police said.
The 16 sea brigands were booked under various sections
of the IPC, Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, Indian
Passport Act, the Foreigners Act and the Arms Act yesterday
after they were brought here in `INS Suvarna`, police said.
"Six pirates were remanded in police custody till
April 5 while the rest were remanded in judicial custody till
the same period," said M Tope, Inspector at Yellow Gate police
The Navy on Saturday apprehended the pirates after
repulsing their attack on merchant vessel `MV Maersk
Kensington` about 400 nautical miles off the West coast.
The pirates on their ship `Morteza` tried to attack
the merchant vessel. `Morteza`, with 18 sailors on board, had
been hijacked by pirates in November 2010.
According to police, who cited the rescued crew
members from Morteza, the sea brigands had killed one
Pakistani and an Iranian national.
"We identified the pirate who had killed the two
hostages. Since he is now in our custody, we will question
(him) in detail," Tope added.
Tope informed that the pirates are not cooperating in
"The pirates had confessed to their role in the murder
of the hostages but now they were saying they did not kill
anybody," he added.
According to police, the Navy operation began when a
maritime reconnaissance aircraft TU142 on patrol located
`Morteza` while responding to a distress call received at the
Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centre (MRCC) here on Saturday
from `MV Maersk Kensington`.
The aircraft facilitated `INS Suvarna`, patrolling in
the area, to intercept the pirate vessel. The Coast Guard ship
`ICGS Sangram` was also diverted for the operation.
Several warnings by `INS Suvarna` to stop the pirate
vessel failed. The pirates fired at the Naval ship which was
retaliated by Naval guards, officials said.
The firing by the Navy resulted in the pirate vessel
catching fire and sank later. However, the pirates and the
hostages managed to jump into the waters in time, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28