Police Inspector arrested in Prajapati encounter case
Ahmedabad: Police Inspector Ashish Pandya,
an accused in the Tulsi Prajapati encounter of 2006, who was
absconding, was today arrested in Rajkot, CID officials said.
Pandya, who was a sub-inspector at the time of encounter,
was promoted last month to the rank of inspector and
transferred to Rajkot Anti-corruption Bureau. He was declared
an absconder by the CID after the investigating agency could
not trace him, as he had not joined his duty in Rajkot.
Pandya reported for duty today at the ACB office in
Rajkot, following which he was arrested, the officials said.
It was Pandya who had fired the bullet that killed
Prajapati, a key witness in the 2005 fake encounter of
Sohrabuddin Sheikh and alleged murder of his wife Kausar Bi.
According to CID, Prajapati was killed in an encounter
near Chapri village near Ambaji in Banaskantha district when
he tried to escape from custody while being shifted from
Rajasthan to Gujarat in December 2006.
Investigating officer in the case R K Patel said that
out of the twelve accused in the case, seven have been
arrested including Pandya.
As Pandya had gone on sick leave without submitting any
documents about his health, an internal inquiry was ordered
Early this month, CID crime had arrested IPS officer
Vipul Agarawl who was Banaskantha SP during the time of
encounter, from Ahmedabad, Jathubha Solanki from Patan and
Vinod Limbachiya from Palanpur.
The trio have been booked on charges of criminal
conspiracy, kidnapping and murder.
Three constables who are accused in the case -- Karansinh
Sisodia, Kanji Kutchi and Kiransinh Chauhan -- were arrested
from Siddhpur in Patan. All six are presently in CID custody.
In January this year, the fake encounter case of
Sohrabuddin was handed over to the CBI by the Supreme Court.
CBI had sought papers of Tulsi Prajapati case from the
state police, saying that his encounter was linked with that
However, the state police denied handing over the
documents saying that SC had asked CBI to investigate only the
Sohrabuddin case and Prajapati case is being investigated by
state CID crime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Narendra Modi's silence on Dalit assault devaluation of PM's post: Congress
- Financial weakness hindering domestic airlines' international expansion
- Dr Reddy's net plunges 76 per cent in Q1
- Roger Federer to miss Rio games
- French President Francois Hollande rejects opposition calls to harden terror laws