Police nods in HC for parole to Manu Sharma
New Delhi: Ramp model Jessica Lall`s killer
Manu Sharma may be allowed parole to attend his brother`s
marriage on an undertaking that he would not leave Karnal and
Ambala, where two key ceremonies are slated to be held, the
city police told the Delhi High Court on monday.
The police, which had been opposing his plea, took a
U-turn before a single-judge bench of Justice V K Shali
Justice Shali reserved his order on Sharma`s plea after
Delhi Government`s Standing Counsel (Criminal) Pawan
Sharma told Justice Shali that the police will have no
objection to the grant of parole to Sharma, if he gives an
undertaking to the court that he will not leave Karnal and
Ambala where the marriage ceremony and the reception is slated
respectively on November 22 and November 24.
In an affidavit submitted to the court last week, the
police had objected to Sharma`s plea for parole, saying his
past conduct does not entitle him to it as he was found
indulging in brawl in a discotheque, when out on parole to
visit his ailing mother in Chandigarh and to attend the last
rites of his grandmother.
Earlier appearing for Sharma, the son of an influential
Congress leader Venod Sharma, senior counsel Ram Jethmalani
sought parole for him asserting that visiting discotheque,
when out on parole, is not illegal and not a crime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...