Police probing Bharat Nepali`s role in Tanasha murder case
Mumbai: Groping in dark in the case of murder
of a suspected member of the Chhota Rajan gang, Mumbai police
is probing if the killing was a result of internal rivalry
within the gang or handiwork of Bharat Nepali, who runs a
Farid Tanasha, an alleged henchman of Rajan gang, was
shot dead last night by two sharp shooters who fired five
bullets from their two 7.65 revolvers, from a close range
inside his house`s bedroom in Tilak Nagar Colony building at
suburban Chembur, police said.
"We are probing the case in all possible angles including
if it was an outcome of internal rivalry withing the gang. The
names of Bharat Nepali, who runs his own gang, and Rajan`s
aide D K Rao are emerging as of now in the case," Additional
Police Commissioner (Crime) Deven Bharti said.
Tanasha, a top informer of Intelligence Bureau (IB) and
Mumbai Crime Branch, was also present at a Christmas party
thrown by Rajan`s close aide D K Rao and allegedly attended by
some senior police officers in December last year, police
Subsequently, the senior officers were suspended for
attending the Rajan gang`s party and an inquiry was ordered
into the matter by the then Police Commissioner D Sivanandan
(presently state police chief), the sources added.
Notorious gangster Nepali was also allegedly involved in
the killing of Shahid Azmi, the counsel to Faheem Ansari, who
was acquitted in Mumbai terror attacks case. Azmi was shot
dead by three contract killers hired by Nepali in his office
on February 11 night at point blank range. The three
assailants were later arrested, police said.
According to police, Tanasha was involved in several
crimes including murder, attempt to murder, extortion and
Tanasha`s murder was meticulously planned as his men, who
guard him, were not present at the time of incident when two
sharp shooters had barged into his bedroom and pumped five
bullets, they said.
The accused must have had conducted a recce and
accordingly executed their plan. When the watchman of building
left the main gate for a few seconds, the accused barged into
the victim`s house and killed him, police said.
Though Tanasha`s second wife Reshma stated that two
assailants were seen firing at her husband, there could be six
to eight more aides of the accused, who might have waited
outside the building, the police added.
Police are also drawing sketches of the accused based on
the description given by Reshma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report