Police research bureau without full-time chief for 4 months
New Delhi: Police`s research and development department has been functioning without a chief for nearly four months as the Home Ministry is yet to appoint a regular incumbent for the post.
The post of Director General (DG) of the Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPRD) is being handled in an additional capacity by CISF chief Rajiv since December 31 last year.
Rajiv took over the charge in an additional capacity after Gujarat cadre IPS officer K N Sharma retired as the chief of the organisation.
The BPRD has a multifarious role in developing new techniques and inducting modern technology for police forces across the country, both at the central and state levels, and a regular chief for this organisation is considered essential as he chalks out new plans and strategies for the agency.
A Home Ministry official said a regular appointee to the post, essentially a senior IPS officer, will soon be announced and that there are no specific reasons for keeping the post in an additional charge.
The BPRD chief also has to be in continuous talks with the state and central police chiefs and authorities over a wide range of challenges faced by the security forces and police organisations.
"The work at the organisation, however, does not suffer as there is a full-time team led by the ADG and directors but surely a regular and full-time officer to the DG post will be able to give a better direction to the tasks performed by the BPRD," a senior official said requesting anonymity.
The BPRD has five broad divisions which not only monitor progress of schemes like the National Police Mission but also carry out a wide array of researches and studies on issues related to policing.
The BPRD is also in the process of fully operationalising the Central Detectives Training School in various parts of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble