Police seek 26/11 court nod to dispose off seized RDX
Mumbai: Police have sought permission
from a special court to dispose off around 24 kgs of RDX
recovered from the 26/11 target terror target spots here.
"We have made an application seeking to dispose of the
RDX but the court is yet to pass an order on our plea,"
Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said.
The RDX was recovered from three unexploded IEDs --
one outside Taj Mahal Hotel, another near Gokul Restaurant and
the third from an unclaimed baggage at Mumbai Chhatrapati
Shivaji Terminus (CST).
The seized explosive was placed before the court as
It is the prosecution`s case that two deceased
terrorist, Abdul Rehman Bada and Javed alias Abu Ali, had
planted 8 to 10 kgs RDX-laden IED outside the main porch of
Taj Hotel in South Mumbai.
However, before it could explode, the Bomb Detection
and Disposal Squad (BDDS) defused the bomb.
Two other terrorists, Abu Shoib and Abu Umer, who had
fired at people at Leopold Cafe, had planted 8 to 10 kgs RDX-
laden IED on the kerb near Gokul Restaurant in the same area
which did not exploded.
Both Shoib and Umer were later killed by the security
forces in the gunbattle at Hotel Taj.
The third pair of attackers, Ajmal Kasab and slain
terrorist Abu Ismail, had kept RDX-filled IED in an unclaimed
baggage at CST station before firing indiscriminately at
people. The IED had not exploded.
The procedure for disposing of RDX recovered from
terror sites is to seek court`s permission after the evidence
has been closed. The court generally allows destruction of RDX
in the presence of a Magistrate.
In the 1993 bomb blasts case, police had similarly
disposed of RDX in the presence of Chief Metropolitan
At the relevant time, ML Tahaliyani, who is now
presiding over the 26/11 court, was the CMM and the seized RDX
was destroyed in his presence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert