Police should now take role of `proactive agency`: Prez
New Delhi: Police in the country should be pro-active rather than being reactive and they should also be a partner in growth, development and peace, President Pranab Mukherjee said on Thursday.
Interacting with a batch of young IPS probationers at Rashtrapati Bhavan, the President said the police of future India is not merely that of a regulatory body enforcing laws, but of a pro-active service provider, a partner in growth, development and peace.
According to a Rashtrapati Bhavan release, the President said some changes are required to make police from a "reactive to a proactive agency" which in partnership with society creates a peaceful and secure atmosphere conducive to the enjoyment of the fruits of growth and prosperity.
Mukherjee was interacting with a group of 127 IPS probationers of 2011 batch which included 18 female probationers, who had called on the President.
The President said he was aware that their Academy has already adopted the motto of `Sensitised police for Empowered Society`.
He said that to achieve this goal, the probationers after joining service have the rather difficult task of enlisting the cooperation and assistance of the people in the voluntary observance of the law to earn the respect of the people.
The probationers completed 46 weeks of training at the National Police Academy, Hyderabad on November 2, and has thereafter undergone two weeks of study-cum-cultural tour and two weeks of CRPF and Army attachments.
They are presently undergoing familiarisation attachments with various central police organisations and armed forces at New Delhi, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands