Police tighten security for Chinese Premier`s visit
New Delhi: As Chinese Premier Li Keqiang is set to arrive here Sunday late afternoon, Delhi Police have deployed more personnel and shut down certain routes, including near the Chinese embassy.
The Race Course station of Delhi Metro, which is close to the prime minister`s official residence and the diplomatic area, will be closed from 7 pm to 9 pm. Police officials said Sardar Patel Marg, which connects the Chinese embassy in central Delhi to the airport, will also be closed when the Chinese leader arrives.
"Personnel will be deployed around the hotel where the Chinese premier is to stay. We have increased deployment around the Chinese embassy," a Delhi Police official said without disclosing which hotel the premier would be staying in.
"Nearly 300 police and para-military force officers have been deployed for security," the police official said.
Police sources added that strict vigil is being maintained around Majnu ka Tila, home to thousands of Tibetans living in exile, to ensure they are unable to carry out their threatened protests against the visit.
Li is visiting India at the invitation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh May 19-21. From India, Li will go to Pakistan, Switzerland and Germany, reports a news agency.
Meanwhile, four metro stations will be closed Monday morning. Race Course, Udyog Bhawan, Central Secretariat and Khan Market metro stations will be closed from 8 am, to 10 am on Monday, a Delhi Metro official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray