Police trying drug-dealer Richard`s extradition from Hong Kong
Vadodara: Gujarat Police have initiated a process for the extradition of alleged Canadian drug dealer of Chinese origin Xie Jeng Fang, alias Richard, from Hong Kong, a senior officer said on Saturday.
"All documents required for Richard`s extradition from Hong Kong have been sent to the Centre as well as the Interpol on the directions of the government of India", Police Commissioner Satish Sharma told reporters.
Accordingly, Deputy Police Commissioner (crime) Subhash Trivedi today submitted an affidavit in the court of the chief judicial magistrate detailing evidences and mentioning the grounds in support of Richard`s extradition.
A case against the suspected drug peddler has been pending in a court.
"We had sent papers to the government earlier for his extradition from Nepal where he was nabbed after his escape from police custody in Vadodara two years ago", said Sharma.
Richard fled Nepal and was arrested in Hong Kong, he said.
"We will make arrangements for bringing him back to the country after receiving instructions from the Centre in this regard", the Police Commissioner said.
According to Trivedi, Richard was part of Nepal`s drug syndicate and arrested from Kathmandu in June 2011.
He had fled on April 28 when he was being brought from Vadodara Central Jail to the SSG Hospital for treatment.
Police said Richard`s escape from police custody was based on an elaborate plan, with the involvement of some locals. He had fled from a food stall located opposite SSG Hospital.
Before his escape, Richard and two others were arrested by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) officials in 2008 on Vadodara-Ahmedabad highway, with 1.5 kilograms of methamphetamine, a stimulant drug.
Interrogation of Richard had led NCB to Sakhi Organics in Savli where they found 110 kgs of methamphetamine.
After his detailed interrogation, Richard was sent to judicial custody in Vadodara Central Jail.
The arrest of one Altaf Patel, a native of Surat city and the alleged mastermind behind Richard`s escape, had provided vital clue that led to Richard`s arrest in Nepal.
Patel has been accused of bumping off US-based fashion model Leona Swiderski. Leona was found dead on a highway in Mumbai in 2003, hours after she landed there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement