Policemen sabotaged traffic drive against `Gramin Sewa` autos?
`Gramin Sewa` autos is a new
para-transit scheme wherein high capacity three-wheelers were
given permits to ply in rural areas.
But Garg believes that there has been "wrongdoing by our
"Gramin Sewa which has become a major problem in many
parts of Delhi has been controlled. There has been sustained
prosecution of this `menace` in last few days.
"...The day we started this drive, apparently the word
spread in Rohini, and I could not believe it when I was told
that these vehicles simply disappeared from many roads of
Rohini which indicated some mix-up," he said.
In six days, he said, 1,112 prosecutions have been done
besides impounding 341 such vehicles.
While 165 have been prosecuted for dangerous driving
"which has become a habit with them", 471 have been prosecuted
for permit violations (prosecution for carrying passengers
beyond sanctioned capacity).
Thirty-seven were prosecuted as the drivers did not have
driving licence and 13 faced action for jumping red light.
Maximum action has been taken in northern and western Delhi
under which areas like Rohini, Dwarka and Kingsway Camp fall.
Drivers are usually fined Rs 500 and owners Rs 1,000 for
not carrying a valid licence. Plying without permit invites a
fine of Rs 2,000 while overcrowding can cost Rs 100.
Garg said it looks "surprising" that the Transport
Department has given them permits without first assigning
routes to them.
"To my mind first you have to have routes and then
depending on requirement permits should be granted. Here it is
reverse. First they have given permits and now they want to
finalise routes. We have taken up this issue and problems
caused by these vehicles at various forums.
"Then we decided that we cannot wait till issues are
finalised and we should start prosecuting these and that is
what we started," Garg said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!