Policemen sabotaged traffic drive against `Gramin Sewa` autos?
`Gramin Sewa` autos is a new
para-transit scheme wherein high capacity three-wheelers were
given permits to ply in rural areas.
But Garg believes that there has been "wrongdoing by our
"Gramin Sewa which has become a major problem in many
parts of Delhi has been controlled. There has been sustained
prosecution of this `menace` in last few days.
"...The day we started this drive, apparently the word
spread in Rohini, and I could not believe it when I was told
that these vehicles simply disappeared from many roads of
Rohini which indicated some mix-up," he said.
In six days, he said, 1,112 prosecutions have been done
besides impounding 341 such vehicles.
While 165 have been prosecuted for dangerous driving
"which has become a habit with them", 471 have been prosecuted
for permit violations (prosecution for carrying passengers
beyond sanctioned capacity).
Thirty-seven were prosecuted as the drivers did not have
driving licence and 13 faced action for jumping red light.
Maximum action has been taken in northern and western Delhi
under which areas like Rohini, Dwarka and Kingsway Camp fall.
Drivers are usually fined Rs 500 and owners Rs 1,000 for
not carrying a valid licence. Plying without permit invites a
fine of Rs 2,000 while overcrowding can cost Rs 100.
Garg said it looks "surprising" that the Transport
Department has given them permits without first assigning
routes to them.
"To my mind first you have to have routes and then
depending on requirement permits should be granted. Here it is
reverse. First they have given permits and now they want to
finalise routes. We have taken up this issue and problems
caused by these vehicles at various forums.
"Then we decided that we cannot wait till issues are
finalised and we should start prosecuting these and that is
what we started," Garg said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org