Policy mechanism to deal with misleading ads soon: Thomas
Kochi: Consumer Affairs Minister KV Thomas on Saturday said the government will soon come out with a policy mechanism to curb the practice of misleading ads in print and TV media that distort competition and violate the basic rights of the consumers.
Expressing concern over a large number of misleading advertisements especially on health oils and tonics coming in print and TV media, he said the government is very serious about checking this menace.
"The influence of ads on consumer choice is undeniable. We have noticed that a lot of misleading ads especially on health tonics and oils are coming on print and TV media and this is a disturbing trend," Thomas said here.
He was speaking at a seminar on consumer awareness, organised by the Consumer Affairs Ministry and Grand Kerala Shopping Festival here.
"Misleading ads distort competition and violate the basic rights of the consumers. We are in talks with stakeholders like corporate and media to come out with a policy mechanism to tackle this," he said.
Echoing similar concerns, Consumer Affairs Secretary Pankaj Agrawal said the ministry through its various awareness programmes is sensitising consumers and business executives regarding consumer grievances and services.
"We are looking at the issue of misleading ads and are in talks with several stakeholders. The ministry will soon come out with an institutional mechanism to deal with such ads," Agrawal added.
The government has drafted number of legislation that have provisions to deal with misleading claims and ads like the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940, Drugs and Magic Remedies (Objectionable Advertisements) Act, 1955, Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, etc, he said.
According to government data, the Food Safety Standards and Authority of India (FSSAI) has so far identified 38 food items with misleading claims. Manufacturer of these items were served show-cause notices and their replies were examined by FSSAI.
As per recommendations given by the three-member committee at FSSAI on these 38 cases, prosecutions have been launched in 19 cases.
At present, the content of ads aired on television, radio and print media, is being regulated by private bodies like the Advertising Standards Council of India and News Broadcasting Association.
Currently, around 30-40 countries have self regulation on advertisement content. In some countries, there is an executive body or trade commission to monitor misleading advertisement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo