`Political class should be conscious about its role`
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, who is no stranger to repeated disruptions in Parliament, on Sunday asked the political class to be "conscious" about its role and responsibility.
"Today`s litmus test is the test of conscience which should not remain confined to legal profession. I think this test should apply to the political profession," she told a seminar here organised by Indian Law Institute in association with Bar Council of India and others.
"For all of us it is a must to pass the test of conscience which we need to have for a lasting handsomeness," she said following references from several speakers about Law Minister Salman Khurshid being the most handsome minister.
With a slight grin, Kumar said the minister`s handsomeness dominated proceedings in the seminar after it was raised by senior BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad.
Prasad referred to the remarks made by Chief Justice of India SH Kapadia yesterday about Khurshid and said his colleagues should be worried about it.
Khurshid, who was present at the seminar, sought to make light of it all.
"So long as the offices of India also remains handsome... together in handsomeness we move forward and make this country truly a beautiful country and move forward as a democracy," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India