Political leaders who died in air crashes
New Delhi: Arunachal Pradesh CM Dorjee Khandu is not the only leader to have met a tragic end in an air crash. Here are some of the others:
YS Rajasekhara Reddy: The Andhra Pradesh chief minister`s helicopter crashed in a dense forest when he was flying to a village in Chitoor district Sep 3, 2009.
Sanjay Gandhi: The younger son of former prime minister Indira Gandhi, seen as her political heir, died when the glider he was flying crashed soon after taking off from the Safdarjung airport in Delhi June 23, 1980.
Madhavrao Scindia: The senior Congress leader and minister died in a plane crash Sep 30, 2001 when he was going to address a public rally in Uttar Pradesh.
GMC Balayogi: The Lok Sabha speaker and Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leader lost his life in a helicopter crash March 3, 2002. He was travelling in a Bell 206 helicopter similar to YS Rajasekhara Reddy`s.
Dera Natung: In May 2001, the Arunachal Pradesh education minister and five others were killed when their Pawan Hans craft crashed near Tawang because of poor visibility.
OP Jindal and Surendra Singh: The noted industrialist and then Haryana agriculture minister died when their chopper went down in Uttar Pradesh on March 31, 2005.
C Sangma: The Meghalaya community development minister died in a chopper crash in September 2004.
Surendra Nath: The Punjab governor and 12 others, including nine of his family, were killed when a state government plane crashed in a mountainous region of Himachal Pradesh state, minutes after taking off July 9, 1994.
Mohan Kumaramangalam: Minister of steel in the Indira Gandhi government, Kumaramangalam was killed in a plane crash in New Delhi May 30, 1973.
Subhash Chandra Bose: Further back in history, the renowned freedom fighter and founder of Azad Hind Fauj is believed to have died in a plane crash in Taiwan Aug 18, 1945. His death has been a matter of dispute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state