Political parties come out in support of Tibetans
New Delhi: Political parties like BJP, SP and RLD on Saturday came out in support of Tibetans and assured them that they will "whatever is required" for the cause.
Senior leaders from these political parties, as mark of solidarity, participated in a protest march from Jantar Mantar to Ram Lila ground, organised by a group of Tibetans living in exile in different countries.
"I feel bad when I see young Tibetans who are living away from their motherland and in other countries for past 50 to 60 years. From our side, we will do whatever is required. Now there is a need to keep our political differences aside and stand with you," BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said while addressing the 2,000 exiled Tibetans.
"It`s very painful. You have the right to live with dignity. You should get the place in your own country with due respect. I respect your spiritual leader and Nobel laureate Dalai Lama," Prasad said.
Around 2,000 Tibetans and 500 Buddhist monks, living in exile all over the world, gathered here at Jantar Mantar to protest against Chinese rule in Tibet and sought support from Indian government and political parties on the issue.
Rashtriya Lok Dal General Secretary and MP Jayant Chaudhary assured the protesters that he would raise the issue in the Budget session of the Parliament.
"We need to do something on the issue, we will raise the issue in the Budget session of Parliament to make the government aware," he said.
Addressing the gathering, T T Karma Chopel, member of Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile said since 2009, 99 young Tibetans have immolated themselves in Tibet.
"We the Tibet refugees from India and other parts of the world want Dalai Lama to return to Tibet. Tibet should be free from Chinese rule," Chopel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?