Political parties come out in support of Tibetans
New Delhi: Political parties like BJP, SP and RLD on Saturday came out in support of Tibetans and assured them that they will "whatever is required" for the cause.
Senior leaders from these political parties, as mark of solidarity, participated in a protest march from Jantar Mantar to Ram Lila ground, organised by a group of Tibetans living in exile in different countries.
"I feel bad when I see young Tibetans who are living away from their motherland and in other countries for past 50 to 60 years. From our side, we will do whatever is required. Now there is a need to keep our political differences aside and stand with you," BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said while addressing the 2,000 exiled Tibetans.
"It`s very painful. You have the right to live with dignity. You should get the place in your own country with due respect. I respect your spiritual leader and Nobel laureate Dalai Lama," Prasad said.
Around 2,000 Tibetans and 500 Buddhist monks, living in exile all over the world, gathered here at Jantar Mantar to protest against Chinese rule in Tibet and sought support from Indian government and political parties on the issue.
Rashtriya Lok Dal General Secretary and MP Jayant Chaudhary assured the protesters that he would raise the issue in the Budget session of the Parliament.
"We need to do something on the issue, we will raise the issue in the Budget session of Parliament to make the government aware," he said.
Addressing the gathering, T T Karma Chopel, member of Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile said since 2009, 99 young Tibetans have immolated themselves in Tibet.
"We the Tibet refugees from India and other parts of the world want Dalai Lama to return to Tibet. Tibet should be free from Chinese rule," Chopel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket