Political uncertainty impacting growth: Montek
New Delhi: With Parliament unable to enact
several reform-linked legislations, Planning Commission Deputy
Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia on Friday said political
uncertainty is impacting growth.
India`s economy grew by 6.9 per cent in the
July-September period, slowest in the last nine quarters. Euro
zone debt crisis and risk aversion by investors in the stock
market have aggravated the sentiments.
"Slowdown has occurred because of (low) investment
expectations, because of political uncertainty and I think
because of delay in implementing infrastructure projects...,"
Ahluwalia said at the Hindustan Times Leadership Summit here.
However, the mood can change for better if some big
infrastructure projects take off, he said. "...We should
concentrate on (infrastructure projects)...political mood will
change within a period of time," Ahluwalia said.
Earlier, addressing the summit, Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee expressed his disappointment over logjam in
"I am practically begging almost everybody
that Parliament is essentially meant for making
legislation...Unless Parliament functions, it becomes very
difficult. I request my colleagues that let us do legislation
and let us fight each other outside legislation," he said.
About two weeks of the winter session have been washed
away as the Opposition, supported by UPA allies - Trinamool
Congress and DMK, have paralysed the proceedings demanding
roll-back of the FDI decision.
Several important legislations which will enable foreign
investment in the pension sector and hike the FDI limit in the
insurance to 49 per cent are pending approval of Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly