Political untouchability not part of Ajit Singh`s lexicon
New Delhi: `Political untouchability` is a
term that does not figure in the lexicon of Jat leader and
Rashtriya Lok Dal chief Ajit Singh as seen from his past
alliances with parties of all hues which have a stake in Uttar
Pradesh like the Congress, BJP, SP and BSP.
Singh, who took oath today as a Cabinet Minister in the
UPA government and is tipped to get the Aviation portfolio,
has twice before been part of the Central government. He
became a Cabinet minister for the first time in the V P Singh
government in 1989 when he served as the industry minister.
The 72-year-old MP from Baghpat in Uttar Pradesh became a
Cabinet minister for the second time when he was given the
food portfolio from February 1995 to May 1996 in the Narasimha
Rao government. He had merged his party with the Congress
His third stint as a Cabinet minister was in the BJP-led
NDA government when he became the agriculture minister from
July 2001 to May 2003.
Singh, who has a strong political legacy as he is the son
of former Prime Minister Chaudhary Charan Singh, has always
capitalised on the loyal Jat votes. He has also nurtured chief
ministerial ambitions with his demand for a separate Harit
Pradesh in western UP.
He was quick to welcome UP Chief Minister Mayawati`s
recent proposal of dividing the state into four parts though
the two leaders do not see eye-to-eye on other issues.
Singh, a computer engineer by profession who worked for
15 years in the US before returning to India in 1986 to enter
politics, has won Lok Sabha elections six times and lost only
once in 1998. In 1996, he won on a Congress ticket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India